Our Leadership Team works together to shape the vision and direction of Spirit of Hope.
Church Council ~ Stacie Saunders and Wilson Garland, Co-Chair, Nancy Pavlik, Recording Secretary, Craig Kile, Treasurer, Ann Rest, Lay Leader, Joan Boger, Lay Member of Annual Conference, Jeff Hansen, Pastor
The Church Council consists of all committee/team chairs and some at-large members. This is the official decision making body of the congregation. The Council envisions, plans, implements and annually evaluates the overall mission and ministry of the congregation.
- Lay Leader ~ Ann Rest
The Lay Leader advocates on behalf of the congregation to the minister, models responsible and faithful discipleship, builds awareness within the congregation, and assist the Administrative Church Council in interpreting not only procedural and theological issues in governing the church, but also, assist the council to look for and take advantage of opportunities to interpret the mission and ministry of the congregation to the community.
- Lay Member of Annual Conference
The voting delegate to the UMC Annual Conference. Each conference is required to consist of an equal number of lay members and ministerial members. Lay members may speak and vote on all items coming before the Annual Conference with the exception of ministerial membership, relationships, ordination and election of clergy delegates to Jurisdictional and General Conferences.
- Finance ~ Craig Kile and Gary Plager, Co-Chairs – Stacie Saunders, Wilson Garland, Jeff Hansen
The Finance Committee oversees the finances of the congregation. It prepares a yearly budget which it submits to the church council.
- Staff-Parish Relations ~ Ron Moore, Chair – Rosemary Dobney, Sarah Leider, Michael Moy, Ginnie Rien, Tom Williams
Staff Parish Relations (SPR) serves as the church’s personnel or Human Resource Department. It interviews, hires and evaluates staff. It also serves in an advisory capacity to the Bishop and District Superintendent regarding the appointment of the Pastor. In addition, it oversees the administrative functions/training of the church office staff. The team meets the second Thursday of the month at 6:30-8:00 pm. Staff-Parish Relations assists the pastor and staff in assessing their gifts and setting priorities for leadership and service.If you have a concern regarding staff, we welcome you to bring it to Staff-Parish Relations, an open forum will be available at 6:30 pm to discuss your concerns or questions.
- Trustees ~ Greg Collin, Chair – Ken Corey-Edstrom (Contract Consultant), John Cushen, Harry Dobney, Ron Lundquist, Ann Rest, Bob Spencer, Barb Tillman (IT), Steve Wasgatt, Todd Wallin
The Trustees is responsible for all church property. It oversees maintenance. Along with the pastor, it oversees the use of church buildings and grounds. It maintains adequate insurance coverage on church property and submits an annual budget request for insurance, property maintenance and improvement, and new property purchases.
Tool Box Club ~ Steve Wasgatt
A group of volunteers who do chores or fix/repair/update minor projects within the church building and grounds.
- Lay Leadership (Nominating) and Ministry Opportunities ~ Jeff Hansen, Chair – Wilson Garland, Gloria Peck, Carolyn Sidebottom, Chuck Sidebottom, Tom Williams
Christian spiritual leaders are identified, developed, deployed, evaluated and monitored to carry out the congregational ministries that fulfill the mission of making disciples and transforming the community. The committee guides church leaders on matters related to laity in leadership in the congregation.
- Gifts and Memorials ~ Jan Nelson, Chair – Donna Adams, Leann Cozad, Polly Erickson
The Gifts and Memorials team solicits and monitors designated and undesignated gifts given to the Memorial Fund. It tracks the fund balances and works with the Church Administrative Council to approve expenditures from Memorial Funds. It mails acknowledgement notes to contributors and creates memorial pages for the Spirit of Hope Memorial Book.
- Ministry Trust Fund ~ Eric Forsberg, Chair – Pam Collins, Steve Gunn, Ann Rest, John Turrittin, Lisa Schroeder
Provides a source of special funds for worthy programs and projects within the church, our community and the world.
Ministry Teams ~ The membership of Ministry Teams is flexible. The teams are encouraged to recruit and include other persons with interest in and passion for their area of ministry. Likewise, persons are free to drop off at their discretion.
- GIFT Team (Growing in Faith Together) ~ Doug Cozad, Chair, Steve Adams, Joan Boger, Craig Hotvedt, Gary Plager, Cindy Ramsey
The GIFT team encourages our members to be good managers of their resources and generous with their time, talent and treasures to minister through Spirit of Hope to the world.
- Hospitality ~ Rob and Claire Alber, Co-Chair ~ Mary Dyck, Jan Frederichs, Barbara Kuenne, Ron and Terri Moore, Angie and Neil Willardson
Welcoming and inviting all to share in Spirit of Hope’s community. When a guest is given a warm welcome and pleasant environment, a greater openness and ability to engage in worship there is a greater likelihood of connection to Spirit of Hope during this stage of their spiritual journey. The team organizes meals, celebrations and special events to enrich community life within the church connecting, engaging, belonging.
- Community Meal ~ Rob and Claire Alber and Carolyn Miller, Co-Chair – Sue Lundquist, Ron and Terri Moore, Toni Peters, Cindy Ramsey
- Congregational Care Ministry
The Congregational Care Ministry exists to meet the needs of our church family. It works within the framework of the ministry of Jesus Christ to provide confidential care to those facing life’s spiritual, emotional, and physical challenges. Our ministry is expressed in many different ways including visits to the hospital, nursing home, and homebound. Using church church and community resources, the committee responds to real-life needs through lay-led care teams supported by pastoral and professional staff.
- Life Transitions
Wedding Coordinator ~ Donna Beyer
Funeral Meal Coordinator ~ Marilyn Gresser, Chair ~ Joan Grimm, Linda Henry, Sue Lundquist, Carolyn Miller, Bernie Mogck, Toni Peters
- Nursery, Children and Family Ministry ~ Kari Bieber, Chair – Jessie Saer, Jenna Tasto, Stacie Saunders, Claire Alber, Penny Meschke, Joan Boger, Melissa O’Neill, Charles and Amy Roberts, Penny Bonsell
The Nursery, Children and Family team plans for Sunday School, ensures proper leadership and assists with classes and special activities.
- Youth and Family Ministry ~ Wilson Garland, Chair – Cynthia Hotvedt, Karen Moroz, Donna Krouss, Ron Lundquist, Amy Roberts, Connie Thompson, Michelle Winecoff, Stacie Saunders, Claire Alber, Caroline Garland, Sara Thompson, David Hodd
Our youth program includes opportunities for children in 6th grade and older to come together for fellowship, group discussions, worship, Bible study and service. We believe these encounters help our youth develop lasting friendships, as they start to figure out who they are and transition into young adulthood and the larger Christian community.
- Adult Ministry ~
Forum ~ Eric Forsberg, Chair – Carolyn Miller, Gloria Peck
Adult education featuring speakers or videos of scholars in religious and other fields, followed by discussion.
- Music ~ Music Cushen, Chair – Sue Lewis, Karen Swan, D’Ann Topoluk, Mary Younggren, Tom WilliamsPaul David Stanko, Max Wojtanowicz, Jerry Rubino
The Music team coordinates the music of the musicians, including choir, orchestra, children’s choirs and bell choirs.
- IT Tech Team ~David Bryant, Thomas Hotvedt, Jarrett Krouss, Barb Tillman, Todd Wallin, Tom Williams, Tiva Winecoff, Tom Witry
- Missions ~ Joan Grimm and Gene Miller, Co-Chairs – Joan Bernick, Leann Cozad, Peter Gresser, Jan Jensen, Gloria Peck, David Peters, Ann Rest
The Missions team plans the congregation’s ministry to the needy, poor and marginalized both locally and abroad. The Missions Team oversees current projects and evaluate new ones. They also recommend recipients for Spirit of Hope’s special offerings at Christmas and Easter.
- Outreach ~ Julie Anderson, Jody Grande, Steve Wasgatt. Susan Williams
The Outreach Committee works to ensure that visitors feel welcomed. It helps integrate newcomers into the life of the congregation. This committee organizes advertising and outreach programs.
- Reconciling and Social Justice Ministries ~ Gloria Peck, Chair – Jeff Becker, Eric Forsberg, Karen Hanauer, Thomas Bryant, Toni Peters, Barbara Tillman, Jeff Hansen
The Reconciling Committee endeavors to keep our church and the wider community aware that Spirit of Hope is a reconciling community welcoming people of all sexual orientations. The committee advertises and hosts outreach events for the community like concerts, speakers, movies and hosts tables at GLBT events. It acts as a liaison between Spirit of Hope and the MN Reconciling Ministries Network of the United Methodist Church. The committee strongly encourages congregation members and friends to participate in activities like OutFront Minnesota’s Day on the Hill and the annual Minneapolis Gay Pride event’s Reconciling Ministry activities. The committee maintains public signs of welcome to GLBT persons, including a rainbow flag on the side of the building. This is an open committee; anyone who wishes to participate is welcome.
- Worship Team ~Cindy Ramsey, coordinator ~ Steve Boger, Nancy Pavlik, Carolyn Sidebottom, Tom Williams
Working with other ministry leaders so that worship celebrates the whole life of the congregation and community. Encouraging a “balanced” team approach to worship planning led by the pastor.
Sanctuary Preparation ~ Gene and Carolyn Miller
Youth Acolyte ~
Worship Liturgists/Readers ~ Jeff Hansen
Communion ~ Carolyn Sidebottom
Ushers ~ Gloria Peck
Greeters ~ Terri Moore
- Office Staff ~ Veronica Jacobsen, Janine Hall
The office manager and administrator undertake a range of functions and responsibilities to make sure the administration activities within Spirit of Hope run smoothly, including balancing the needs of staff, volunteers and congregants.
Information Technology (IT) Support – Barbara Tillman
The technical team advises the Spirit of Hope staff regarding technical purchases, installs new hardware and software, and provides support on all technology platforms.